Hey there Lost fans! Last week we were experiencing some major technical issues. The flurry of emails that have been pouring in since then tells me that all you observant contestants caught the problem pretty quickly. :-) All of last week's scoring data was incorrect. The Detailed Points Section was correct but the data displayed on the leader board charts and the spreadsheets were incorrect. Kindly disregard all of that.
This week's data is all correct! There were even a few points adjustments made, so be sure to check that goodness out down below. "He's Our You" was a low-scoring episode but it still provided enough drama and excitement to wet our collective appetites. While not many characters showed up, there were lots of points flyign around. How many did you manage to snag?
Check out the audio update for some LFL-related highlights from the episode. Be sure to also read through the important point rulings and work your way through all the other content we have in store for you below.
If you've got any questions, consult the League rule book at the bottom of this post. If you can't find an answer to your questions there, shoot me an email at LFLquestions@gmail.com. I will do my best to get back to you as promptly as possible. I am still working my way through a massive backlog of emails, which I should be able to get through by the weekend. Just be patient please. :-)
"He's Our You" in 600 words or less:
Young Ben brings Sayid another sandwich and namedrops Richard with an “oh yeah, I know” look on his face. Horace and Radzinsky find Sayid in a less conversational mood and Horace whines to Sawyer about it. Sawyer tries to talk some sense into Sayid but he won’t play ball.
Roger Linus (you know, Lost’s other dead beat dad) catches some lip from Sayid and catches his son playing favorite to the supposed Hostile. Daddy doesn’t like it. You know who else doesn’t like playing games? Oldham. The DHARMA A-Team drags Sayid out to a teepee along the side of the road and lets Oldham “do his thing.” He gives a sugar cube coated with fun time juices. Sayid turns on, tunes in and drops out while dispensing the truth, revealing all sorts of information he shouldn’t know. He nearly gives away Sawyer’s secret but Radzinsky doesn’t care who Sawyer is (I know- how convenient).
Meanwhile, Kate and Juliet have a girl talk while in the garage (it’s like right out of a grease monkey’s fantasy, really). Kate knows about Jules & Jim and Juliet is comforted that the awkwardness is almost tolerable now.
At night, all the DHARMA big wigs have a meeting but it’s not about smoking dope and skipping rope. Radzinsky convinces them to hold a vote and survey says- Sayid must die! Sawyer tries to give Sayid a chance to escape by letting him go but Sayid has bigger fish to fry.
Sawyer asks Kate why she came back but their conversation takes a detour. Well, actually, a flaming DHARMA van takes a detour into their conversation and into a nearby house. Jack and Kate help to get people out and put out the fire while Sawyer calls in the cavalry. This gives young Ben a chance to let Sayid out so they can go be happy in the jungle of mystery with the Hostiles. Sayid promises to take Ben with him, though I methinks Sayid is speaking in double entendres.
Jin stumbles along Ben and Sayid while on patrol. Sayid says Sawyer cut him loose but an APB pours out over DHARMA radio that the prisoner escaped. Sayid whips out his ninja assassin skills and knocks Jin out cold. Ben is impressed but then gets laid out by Sayid, who hauls off and shoots the kid in the chest. Now, maybe it’s just me, but if you’re a super assassin and want someone dead, why not go for the head? Maybe the Island can move bullets.
Sayid’s flashbacks show that he earned his manhood by killing a chicken (seriously, that’s it? I was born into the wrong culture!) and that he really does like killing people deep down inside. That and he’s totally not a paranoid and uber-observant as we thought, because Ilana totally schooled his butt in close combat. Ah well, he was duped by that German chick once. But you know what they say, “fool me twice”…
POINT RULINGS FOR EPISODE 5x10: “He's Our You”
1) The scene in Sayid's FB where the other Oceanic 6 members board the plane counts for Encountering New People. It was this general time frame in which several characters encountered either Ilana or Caesar for the first time. Kate, Hurley, Sun and Ben all benefit from this scene.
2) Oldham counts as a new person for Sayid. While Sayid encountered a large group of DHARMA folk before, it is clear that Oldham keeps his distance from the rest of the pack.
3) Roger Linus counts for New Person points for Sayid. He is significant for the impact he had on Ben's childhood, therefor significant enough to merit points.
4) Roger does not get points for meeting Sayid. All of DHARMA knew of Sayid's presence by this point, which disqualifies Roger from points.
5) Getting drugged and tazed both count as minor injuries. Sayid loses points for both and Sawyer loses points for the latter.
6) Sayid, Ben and Jin all share Last On Screen points. Sayid was running off, Ben was lying in the mud and there was just a smidge of Jin's boot in frame when the episode cut to black.
7) Sayid's FB is considered Miscellaneous. The fact that it started with him as a child and then showed him as an adult makes it miscellaneous. All the first bit showed was that Sayid could kill from an early age. This had no direct narrative impact on the adult portions of his FB.
8) Ben loses points twice for minor injuries. First, when his father smashes him against the cell bars. The second time is when he trips and falls over while running off with Sayid.
9) Roger gets credit for visiting a DHARMA location. We know that it is the nature of his job to travel from station to station and, since it's been four years since we last saw him, we are considering that he traveled outside the fence at some point.
10) Oldham's place is not considered outside the Barracks perimeter. Since there has been nothing official stating whether the processing center, jail, or Oldham's place exist outside the Barracks perimeter fence, we are assuming that they are all within the fence and therefor part of the Barracks compound. If we here anything otherwise, corrections can and will be made.
11) Ethan gets a boatload of Logo points. While AMy was carrying the little tyke around, he was on screen with several different DHARMA Logos on peoples' jumpsuits.
POINTS ADJUSTMENTS FOR 5x09 "Namaste":
Ben is given Visits a DHARMA Location points because the last time we saw young Ben was years before and in the jungle.
Ben has his New Person points for Sayid taken away. All of DHARMA was alerted to Sayid's presence, which is probably why Ben volunteered to bring him food in the first place.
This results in an overall 5 point loss for Ben from last week.
CLARIFICATION ON DHARMA LOGO POINTS:
I got a lot of emails from people stating, pleading, arguing and screaming that "so-and-so" should have gotten Logo points for "X" scene. Please remember that the League Rule Book states that League Character must appear on screen with the logo in question to count. Just because they encounter someone we know to be wearing a logo doesn't mean they get logo points. The logo and the character MUST be seen together. I watch the episode several times and examine many, many screencaps to make sure the DHARMA logos all get credit. If a character doesn't get credit, then I couldn't spot them with the logo.
Season 5 Episode Scores
Episode 5x09 Scores
DETAILED SCORES FOR EPISODE 5x10- "He's Our You":
APPEARS IN SOMEONE ELSE’S MISCELLANEOUS FB/FF (+5): Ben (Sayid’s); Hurley (Sayid’s); Jack (Sayid’s); Kate (Sayid’s); Sun (Sayid’s)
APPEARS IN THE EPISODE (+5): Ben, Ethan, Horace, Hurley, Jack, Jin, Juliet, Kate, Roger, Sawyer, Sayid, Sun
ABSENT FROM EPISODE (-5): Aaron, Abaddon, Alex, Annie, Arzt, Bea, Bernard, Boone, Carmen, Cassidy, Charles Widmore, Charlie, Charlotte, Christian, Cindy, Claire, Clementine, Daniel, David, Desmond, Diane, Eko, Emma, Frank, Goodwin, Harper, Jacob, Ji-Yeon, Keamy, Kelvin, Libby, Locke, Margo, Marvin Candle, Michael, Michael's Mother, Mikhail, Miles, Mr. Paik, Ms. Hawking, Nadia, Penny, Rachel, Richard, Rose, Rousseau, Sarah, Shannon, Smokey, Tom, Vincent, Walt, Zack
ENCOUNTERS A DHARMA LOGO (+5): Ben (Generic); Ethan (Arrow, Star, Flame, Generic); Horace (Flame, Arrow, Star, Generic, Looking Glass); Hurley (Chef, Generic); Jack (Chef, Generic, Star); Jin (Star); Juliet (Star, Wrench, Generic); Kate (Chef, Generic, Wrench); Roger (Generic); Sawyer (Star, Arrow, Flame, Generic, Looking Glass); Sayid (Flame, Arrow, Generic, Wrench)
ENCOUNTERS A NEW PERSON, PLACE, OR THING (+10): Ben (Caesar and Ilana); Hurley (Caesar and Ilana); Kate (Caesar and Ilana); Sayid (Roger, Oldham, Ilana); Sun (Caesar)
EPISODE CENTRICITY (+25): Sayid
FIRST LINE IN EPISODE (+10): Ben
FIRST ON SCREEN (+15): Sayid
GETS A MAJOR INJURY (-15): Ben (Shot by Sayid); Jin (Knocked out by Sayid); Sayid (Given a bloody nose by Sawyer’s head butt)
GETS A MINOR INJURY (-5): Ben (Pushed into cell bars by Roger, falls over on the roadside); Sayid (Tazered by Sawyer, drugged by Oldham, kicked by Ilana)
INFLICTS A MAJOR INJURY (-10): Sawyer (Gives Sayid a bloody nose via a head butt); Sayid (Knocks Jin out; shoots Ben)
INFLICTS A MINOR INJURY (-5): Sawyer (Tazers Sayid); Rogers (Pushes Ben into cell bars)
IS NICKNAMED BY SAWYER (+5): Horace (“H”); Sayid (“Chief”)
KILLS SOMEONE (-20): Sayid
KISSES SOMEONE OR GETS KISSED (+15): Sayid
LAST LINE IN EPISODE (+10): Sayid
LAST ON SCREEN (+15): Ben, Jin and Sayid
MISCELLANEOUS FB/FF (+10): Sayid
TRAVELS BY CAR (+5): Horace (twice); Jin; Sawyer (twice); Sayid (twice)
USES OR ENCOUNTERS THE NUMBERS (+20): Ben (license plate in Russia); Sayid (license plate in Russia; speaks 16, 8 and 15 while drugged)
VISITS A DHARMA LOCATION (+5): Roger (Barracks)
This week we've got not one but two Fantasy Geniuses of the Week! Congratulations to Work Man and Wankers United! They both managed to earn 195 points from "He's Our You".
Work Man: Sawyer, Rose, Sayid, Widmore, Ji-Yeon, Rousseau, Horace, Jin
Wankers United: Locke, Bernard, Sayid, Widmore, Ji-Yeon, Ethan, Horace, Jin
Full Table by Name: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pXy_MMpweXkAXoTJ0IEprSA
Full Table by MiniLeague: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pXy_MMpweXkDH0RiVzp59cA
Downloadable By Name
Downloadable By Mini-League
WARNING: This section contains the title of the next episode and some conjecture on what it might mean. If you consider this sort of information to be spoilerish, then do not continue. If not...
The next episode is "Whatever Happened Happened" and the title already has me guessing. Methinks Sayid's renegade antics will have the Losties discussing time travel theory. Sounds like a perfect time for Daniel Faraday to make his comeback appearance, no?
I'm interested in seeing where Sayid ends up and how exactly young Ben gets fixed up, if at all. Could we see a breach of the space-time continuum? Great Scot! I hope not. But then, if everything works out just fine, what does that mean for our Losties?
Is their fate predetermined? Is their fate sealed? Will their fate royally screw up your shot at Lost Fantasy League glory? One episode might not be enough to resolve all these burning questions, but we'll at least be one step closer. Come back next week and find out how your team is doing!
Once again, here is the official LFL rule book. Happy reading!