Holy frozen donkey wheels Lost fans! We're just one episode away from crowning another champion! Can you believe it?
"Follow The Leader" may have been a little light in the content department and that shows in the overall score. Just 260 points in the penultimate episode of the season? I'm sure that the finale will make up for it by rocking our socks off with points out the wazoo.
There were two more point adjustments made this week and they may make your scores for this week look funky. Any time there are point adjustments, the spreadsheet thinks those adjustments affect this week's score. Not true. The data below is correct for this episode. Here are your corrections:
5x11: Sawyer gets an extra 5 points. Somehow I forgot to give him the 5 points he deserved and that we reported for traveling by car.
5x14: Daniel has 20 points taken away from him. I accidentally gave him credit for saying two combinations of the Numbers during the episode. The rules state once per source per episode, meaning you can only get credit once for saying a combination of the numbers.
Everything else should be up to date and accurate. I will be double checking everything once more though before we post the final scores and announce our winner.
If you've got any questions, consult the League rule book at the bottom of this post. If you can't find an answer to your questions there, shoot me an email at LFLquestions@gmail.com. I will do my best to get back to you as promptly as possible.
"Follow The Leader" in 500 words or less:
Jack and Kate watch Daniel get killed from the safety of the bushes. Oh wait, those bushes aren’t so safe after all. Charles Widmore rides in and lays some hurt on Jack and brings the two of them into the Hostiles’ camp. Eloise, still confused by Daniel’s words, has them sent to her tent. Jack explains that Daniel is trying to change things, that they’re all from the future and that she can help make all this bad stuff go away. Really? Because last episode we saw that Ms. Hawking sent Daniel to the Island specifically to die and keep things the way they always were.
In Dharmaville, Sawyer is getting a royal beat down by Radzinsky and Phil. Horace is too much of a hippie to go to these extremes but Radzinsky basically takes over. Yeah, because that can only end well. Sawyer won’t talk so Phil punches Juliet.
Meanwhile, Hurley stashes some food and meets up with Jin and Miles in the jungle. They are confronted by Dr. Chang, who asks Hurley the one question he dreaded the most when he first got to 1977- who is the president of the USA? Hurley spills the beans and Chang calls for an evacuation. Sawyer tells everyone that Chang is right to evacuate and offers to draw a map to the Hostiles’ camp in exchange for he and Juliet being put on the sub.
Jack, Kate, Hawking, Richard and a redshirt Hostile all mosey through the woods until Kate wigs out on Jack’s plan. Sayid shows up and plugs the redshirt dude. Kate walks, Jack talks. They go for a dip and enter the Tunnels, which leads to the bomb.
Miles, Hurley and Jin watch the sub get loaded up with Charlotte, Mrs. Chang and baby Miles but also spot Sawyer and Juliet getting on board. You know, wouldn’t heading to the beach be a smart thing to do right about now instead of subspotting? I mean, that was the plan, right?
In the present, Locke, Ben and Sun reach the new Others’ camp. Locke takes Ben and Richard out to the Pearl so Richard can pull the bullet out of past Locke’s leg and give him the compass that will come in handy in the past. After that little outing, Locke invites all the Others to a kegger at Jacob’s shack. It’s a strange brew indeed, as Locke doesn’t care about bringing his former friends back to the future but rather intends to kill Jacob, which leaves Ben looking much as I did at the end of the episode.
Heavy on the setup, light on the action. Yep, definitely sounds like a pre-finale episode of Lost!
POINT RULINGS FOR EPISODE 5x15: “Follow The Leader”
1) Kate and Jack get New People points for encountering Charles Widmore and the other Hostile. Had it just been Charles Widmore, they would not have earned points for the encounter, seeing as they both knew of Charles Widmore beforehand (just not that he was on the Island though).
2) Kate loses points for a minor injury. While we've avoided calling nudges and pushes injuries this year, Kate was very clearly and unceremoniously tossed to the ground. She winced and Jack stuck up for her, so I called it a minor injury.
3) Sayid get New People points for encountering Hawking, Richard and the other Hostile he shoots. It's hard to say if he had been camping out waiting for them or if they just stumbled upon him, but Sayid had not met Ms. Hawking or the other Hostile yet. He had met Richard back in Season 4, so had it just been Richard, he would not have earned points.
4) The Others' beach camp counts as a new place for Ben, Locke and Sun. Yeah, Locke seems to know where everything is these days, but the camp itself is a new location that he's never been to before, so it counts for Locke and everyone else.
5) Richard counts as a new person for Sun but Sun does not count for Richard. Sun has never met Richard before but Ben had files on all of the Flight 815 survivors. Ben seemed to make it everyone's business to know about the survivors, so Sun doesn't count.
6) The beechcraft counts as a new thing for Richard but not Ben or Locke. Obviously, Locek had been there before. It does not count as a new place because it is sitting on top of the Pearl hatch, a place the Others knew of and used. In the Season 3 wpisode Expose, Ben is shown inside the Pearl referring to the plane being used as a means to conceal the station's existence.
7) Jack only loses points once for his opening scene injuries. Charles Widmore is the one who hits him both times, so it is considered an extended injury session.
8) Richard shares First on Screen points with Daniel. Richard was in the foreground and slightly out of focus at the start of the episode but it is very clearly him based on the angles and shots from the previous episode. Also, his shirt color gives it away.
9) Sawyer is docked for major injuries three times. Radzinsky beats on him and draws blood. Then Phil has a go at Sawyer. Then Radzinsky goes at him again. When Phil injures Sawyer, that broke up Radzinski's beatings into two distinct injury sessions. That is why Sawyer loses points three times instead of just two.
10) Locke gets credit twice for visiting the Pearl station. There are two John Lockes present and they both get credit for visiting the station.
11) Daniel does not get points after his death. Earlier this year we extended the ruling that players must be conscious in order to receive encounter points. This takes it a step further. Being dead, Daniel is not conscious, so he cannot gain points for anything his body would technically encounter after his death.
Season 5 Episode Scores
Episode 5x14 Scores
DETAILED SCORES FOR EPISODE 5x15- "Follow The Leader":
APPEARS IN THE EPISODE (+5): Ben, Charles Widmore, Charlotte, Daniel, Horace, Hurley, Jack, Jin, Juliet, Kate, Locke, Marvin Candle, Miles, Ms. Hawking, Richard, Sawyer, Sayid, Sun,
ABSENT FROM EPISODE (-5): Aaron, Abaddon, Alex, Annie, Arzt, Bea, Bernard, Boone, Carmen, Cassidy, Charlie, Christian, Cindy, Claire, Clementine, David, Desmond, Diane, Eko, Emma, Ethan, Frank, Goodwin, Harper, Jacob, Ji-Yeon, Keamy, Kelvin, Libby, Margo, Michael, Michael's Mother, Mikhail, Mr. Paik, Nadia, Penny, Rachel, Roger, Rose, Rousseau, Sarah, Shannon, Smokey, Tom, Vincent, Walt, Zack
ENCOUNTERS A DHARMA LOGO (+5): Charles Widmore (Generic, Wrench); Daniel (Generic); Horace (Arrow, Swan, Star, Pearl); Hurley (Generic, Chef, Star); Jack (Wrench Generic); Jin (Star, Generic, Chef); Juliet (Star, Arrow, Swan, Generic); Kate (Wrench, Generic, Star); Marvin Candle (Generic, Star, Chef, Swan, Arrow, Pearl); Miles (Star, Chef, Generic); Ms. Hawking (Generic, Wrench); Richard (Generic, Wrench, Staff); Sawyer (Star, Swan, Arrow, Pearl, Generic); Sayid (Generic, Wrench); Sun (Generic, Wrench, Chef)
ENCOUNTERS A NEW PERSON, PLACE OR THING (+10): Ben (Others’ Camp); Charles Widmore (Jack & Kate); Jack (Widmore & Horse-riding Hostile, the Tunnels); Kate (Widmore & Horse-riding Hostile); Locke (Others’ Camp); Ms. Hawking (Sayid); Richard (Sayid, Beechcraft); Sayid (Hostiles, the Tunnels); Sun (Others’ Camp, Richard)
ENCOUNTERS CHARLES WIDMORE (+15): Jack, Kate, Ms. Hawking, Richard
FIRST LINE IN EPISODE (+10): Daniel
FIRST PERSON ON SCREEN (+15): Daniel, Richard
GETS A MAJOR INJURY (-15): Jack (beaten by Charles Widmore, kicked by Hostile); Juliet (punched by Phil); Sawyer (beaten by Radzinsky, beaten by Phil, beaten by Radzinsky again)
GETS A MINOR INJURY (-5): Kate (thrown down by Hostile)
GETS KILLED/DIES (-30): Daniel (shot by Hawking)
GOES IN THE WATER (+5): Jack, Ms. Hawking, Richard, Sayid
INFLICTS A MAJOR INJURY (-10): Charles Widmore (beats Jack)
IS GIVEN A NICKNAME BY SAWYER (+5): Juliet (“Sweetheart”)
KILLS SOMEONE (-20): Ms. Hawking (shoots Daniel)
LAST LINE IN EPISODE (+10): Locke
LAST PERSON ON SCREEN (+15): Ben
TRAVELS BY CAR (+5): Charlotte, Juliet, Marvin Candle, Miles, Sawyer
USES OR ENCOUNTERS THE NUMBERS (+20): Jack (says “815”)
VISITS A DHARMA LOCATION (+5): Ben (Pearl); Kate (Barracks); Locke (Pearl- twice: once as present Locke and once as past Locke); Richard (Pearl)
We had two Fantasy Geniuses of Week for "Follow The Leader". Congratulations to Satan's Nightmare and Mapelio's Finest for racking up 185 points in a week featuring some very interesting point earners.
Satan's Nightmare: Richard, Emma, Sun, Charles, Ji-Yeon, Libby, Horace, Marvin Candle
Mapelio's Finest: Richard, Rose, Sun, Charles, Ji-Yeon, Rousseau, Horace, Marvin Candle
Full Table by Name: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rENyDZ25zeW3ErrOUpG5QXw
Full Table by MiniLeague: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rYrNzR70Au8DdohN-qsA3tA
Downloadable By Name
Downloadable By Mini-League
WARNING: This section contains the title of the next episode and some conjecture on what it might mean. If you consider this sort of information to be spoilerish, then do not continue. If not...
If you've been following this section all season, then the picture on the left might be surprising. I usually don't post actual Lost screencaps in this section. Fear not, this cap is not a spoiler from the next episode. Rather, it is a cap from back in Season 2 when we first met Dr. Chang (or Candle as we knew him then).
The Season 5 finale is called "The Incident" and that should sound familiar to you. "Marvin Candle" spoke of an incident that led to the Swan station computer and pushing the button every 108 minutes. It has also been the topic of discussion for the past two episodes.
So, Lost fans, it looks like we're actually going to see The Incident this week. What does that mean? Well, for one, it tells me we might see Dr. Chang lose an arm. Remember that DHARMA video? He had a fake arm/hand. The real question is who else might be hurt during The Incident? That will likely go a long way in determining who wins the whole shebang.
The end is near! Come back next week to see who the Season 5 Lost Fantasy League champion is!
Once again, here is the official LFL rule book. Happy reading!