Here is what Kristin is reporting.
Holy email onslaught!
So many of you have written in after seeing Michael Ausiello's post about the possibility of a fourteenth hour of Lost this season, I feel I should respond before you hunt me down with pitchforks. (Just kidding. You know I share your obsession—In fact, I see your obsession and I raise it!)
Truth told, I heard the news last night that Lost's producers met with ABC about the extra hour; however, I was told by inside sources it was "much too early to report," since the pitch meeting just happened yesterday and since ABC has not yet had a chance to respond. I was asked to hold off since my sources didn't want the fans to be disappointed if the extra hour didn't end up happening.
That said, please don't shoot the TV Diva if this doesn't end up going down, but in case it's of any help to you, here's what my well-connected insiders say about where things stand:
* It is looking "highly likely" (yay!) that there will be an additional hour of Lost for season four, for a total of six hours coming up in the spring run, starting April 24.
* Producers pitched the idea of a two-hour finale to ABC, and if they end up getting an extra hour but it is not to extend the finale, well...that could be messy.
* The sense among insiders is that ABC execs very much want to make this happen, but like I said, they have not yet had a chance to respond. Fingers crossed they will soon and it'll be the right (i.e. "yes") decision!
You'll know more when I do. In the meantime, keep your pants on, your nose clean and April 24 circled in glitter on your calendar. And if you're feeling frisky, post your hopes for Lost's spring run below!
Thanks to Jay for the heads up on this great news :)
OK, I've left you hanging long enough, Ausholes. The scintillating piece of Lost prattle I've been holding over your heads since Ask Ausiello went live early this morning (i.e., the better-than-the-coffin-reveal scoop) goes a little something like this....
According to one of my 815 snitches, Team Darlton is in advanced talks with ABC to produce — wait for it, wait for it — an additional hour of Lost this season!
[The crowd roars]
Now, before you go French-kissing a total stranger out of sheer elation, my source stresses that this is by no means a done deal. In fact, the scheduling hurdles alone are enough to make a grown man cry. But you have to admit, the prospect of a 14th hour is a tantalizing one. And it raises so darn many questions. For instance:
• If the dream becomes a reality, how would it work? As it stands, Lost's Season 4 climax is slated to air on May 22 on a season-finale-themed night that also includes the cappers of Ugly Betty and Grey's Anatomy. So would the additional Lost hour be broadcast the following Thursday? Or would it perhaps run on another night?
• What does this do to the finale that was going to air on May 22? Would elements of it be incorporated into the new finale? Would this 14th hour come before that episode? And since we were originally supposed to get 16 eppies this season before the strike cut that number back to 13, does this mean we would now be getting a season finale that is more in line with what Darlton intended? Or more exposition that they ran out of time to include? The mind boggles.
So what do you think, people? And where does the line for the 14th-hour prayer group form? I'm in.
Here is what Kristin is reporting.