So, I never did get around to making those mid-season report cards. Sorry about that. Anywho, we're back in action ladies and gents! What better way for you American LFLers to celebrate Lost Day than to find out how last week scored for your team right before we plunge headlong into the next episode!
"Namaste" may have seemed pretty tame compared to some of Season 5's highlights, but it was a pretty slick set-up episode and it ended up with a surprisingly high score! The question is whether or not you gained from "Namaste"'s points prowess.
Check out the audio update for some LFL-related highlights from the episode. Be sure to also read through the important point rulings and work your way through all the other content we have in store for you below. Then, get ready for a news episode of Lost, coming oh so soon!
If you've got any questions, consult the League rule book at the bottom of this post. If you can't find an answer to your questions there, shoot me an email at LFLquestions@gmail.com. I will do my best to get back to you as promptly as possible. I have let your emails back up quite a bit, so I hope to get to many of your questions in the next couple of days.
"Namaste" in 600 words or less:
In 1977, Sawyer can’t believe his eyes while Jack, Kate and Hurley have a hard time grasping the notion that they’ve been unceremoniously chucked back into the days of disco. Hurley is the most perceptible of the bunch and notices the DHARMA suits and Jin’s growing prowess with English. Still though, no one knows what happened to the rest of the people on the plane but Jin hightails it to the Flame upon hearing mention that Sun was on the plane.
Sawyer runs back to the Barracks to get some digs for his compatriots to wear. Juliet helps develop a cover story and Sawyer preps the bunch for DHARMA induction. Juliet says hi to Amy and gets all goo-goo gaga over the newborn. Amy says his name is Ethan and Juliet hands the baby over with a “Don’t look freaked out” look on her face.
At the Flame, Jin encounters Radzinsky. He’s pushy, annoying and looks a heck of a lot like Paul Giamatti. Jin makes him call all the DHARMA stations and ask if anyone’s seen an airplane over the Island recently. All he wants to do is build his DHARMA station model in peace for crying out loud! Then buzzers start going off and they rush out into the jungle and catch Sayid. Radzinsky thinks he’s a hostile. Jin calls Sawyer.
Jack is processed and is amusingly assigned to janitorial work. What, you thought Sawyer would make you a doctor? Yeah, THAT wouldn’t be suspicious. The jig is nearly up when creepy Phil notices Kate isn’t on any of the lists. Juliet saves the day but I think creepy Phil already smells something rotten in the state of DHARMA.
Sawyer does his best to communicate to Sayid that he needs to pretend to be a Hostile so he can at least begin to work something out. They take him back to the Barracks (because it’s always such a smart idea to keep potentially dangerous people in the heart of town) and lock him up. Jack, suffering from an enlarged sense of self-importance, confronts Sawyer and tries to insert himself back into the planning of things. Sawyer’s having none of it and tells Jack to sit there like a good little boy while he figures out what he can do about all this. Because, you know, he’s pretty much the only one who can. That night, young Ben Linus comes and pays Sayid a visit. Talk about close encounters of the creepy kind!
In 2008, Ajira Flight 316 flashes into broad daylight and Frank does his best to fly his computer-generated plane around computer-generated cliffs. There’s a computer-generated runway (which makes me go “ah-ha!”) but it’s too short and the plane’s too fast, so they crash into some computer-generated trees.
Frank tries to establish order but Caesar (who strikes me as a badass version of Paulo) starts organizing groups to build fires and explore the nearby buildings. Ben uses this distraction to his advantage and tries to slip away. Sun sees Ben go and Frank sees Sun go after him. Ben’s all gleeful, like the kid who read this book already and casually invites Frank and Sun along for the fun. Sun whacks him in the head with an oar and she and Frank take off for a dock Ben said was not too far away.
They have a powwow in the Processing Center with Ghost Dad who tells them they’ve got a “bit of a journey” ahead of them. No ****, Sherlock.
POINT RULINGS FOR EPISODE 5x09: “Namaste”
1) We are crediting Amy and Horace's baby as Ethan Rom. Juliet interpreted the baby's name as such and most people are connecting the cute little baby with the future duke of disturbing. This qualifies Ethan for DHARMA Logo points for Juliet's jumpsuit, but he does not get New Person points or Visit points because his birth was established (though unseen) in the previous episode.
2) Young Ben gets New Person points. Young Ben hadn't met Sayid before, so it counts. Isn't time travel lovely?
3) Jack, Kate and Hurley all receive a New Person points bump. They came to the Barracks and met the DHARMA crew. We are making this a lump sum meeting, so unless new significant DHARMA members are met without any prior knowledge, these three are considered to have met all the DHARMA people, as it's nearly impossible to tell who may or may not have been missing from that group.
4) Marvin Candle gets New Person points for meeting Jack. Jack doesn't get the points because he knew of Candle (whose name we now know is Chang) from the DHARMA films. Chang has never met Jack before, so this qualifies him for the points.
5) Marvin Candle does NOT get points for the DHARMA Logo he is wearing in the DHARMA film. Based on a ruling previously this season, things happening in video do not count unless they are transpiring in real time.
6) Sun, Frank and Ben all lose points for getting injured in the plane crash. Sun and Frank had very visible injuries from the crash and I determined that Ben had a few fresh scratches on him as well.
7) Christian appears to Frank and Sun as an Island Vision. This was a tricky one, but here's how we came to this decision: the presence of the Whispers played a huge part in us determining this to be an Island Vision. Usually, some form of supernatural stuff goes down when the Whispers are around. He handles a physical object (the picture), which was a point of contention before, but we felt that the Whispers and the assumed presence of Smokey indicated that some Island ju-ju was at work. I will go back and take a look at any and all previous Christian appearances to see if they too should count as Island Visions. I will get back to you on that later.
8) Smokey is NOT credited with an appearance. I couldn't find a screencap of that tree that might have showed the Smoke Monster. Because Smokey wasn't present, we can't give out Encounters the Smoke Monster points to Sun and Frank. Smokey has to appear in order for people to get Encounter points. If you can find a screencap that clearly shows Smokey in the trees (and on screen with Sun and Frank) we will reverse this ruling.
9) Christian does NOT hear the Whispers. I ruled it this way because he was not on screen when the Whispers occurred. The Whispers seem to have marked his arrival. Unless it can be proven that he could hear the Whispers, this ruling will stand.
10) For now, we are assuming that the Processing Center is located in the general vicinity of the Barracks. If we find out later that the PC is outside of the Barracks, then we will adjust the scores accordingly.
Season 5 Episode Scores
Episode 5x09 Scores
DETAILED SCORES FOR EPISODE 5x09- "NAMASTE":
APPEARS IN SOME ELSE’S ISLAND VISION (+10): Christian (Sun & Frank’s)
APPEARS IN THE EPISODE (+5): Ben, Christian, Ethan, Frank, Hurley, Jack, Jin, Juliet, Kate, Marvin Candle, Miles, Sawyer, Sayid, Sun
ABSENT FROM EPISODE: (-5): Aaron, Abaddon, Alex, Annie, Arzt, Bea, Bernard, Boone, Carmen, Cassidy, Charles Widmore, Charlie, Charlotte, Cindy, Claire, Clementine, Daniel, David, Desmond, Diane, Eko, Emma, Goodwin, Harper, Horace, Jacob, Ji-Yeon, Keamy, Kelvin, Libby, Locke, Margo, Michael, Michael's Mother, Mikhail, Mr. Paik, Ms. Hawking, Nadia, Penny, Rachel, Richard, Roger, Rose, Rousseau, Sarah, Shannon, Smokey, Tom, Vincent, Walt, Zack
ENCOUNTERS A DHARMA LOGO (+5): Christian (Generic, Wrench, Chef); Ethan (Wrench); Hurley (Generic, Star, Wrench, Chef); Jack (Generic, Star, Wrench, Chef); Jin (Generic, Star, Flame); Juliet (Wrench, Star, Generic); Kate (Generic, Star, Wrench, Chef); Marvin Candle (Generic); Sawyer (Generic, Star, Wrench, Flame); Miles (Star, Wrench, Generic); Sayid (Star, Flame, Generic); Sun (Generic, Wrench, Chef)
ENCOUNTERS A NEW PERSON, PLACE OR THING (+10): Ben (Sayid); Frank (Christian); Hurley (The DHARMA crowd); Jack (The DHARMA crowd); Kate (The DHARMA crowd); Marvin Candle (Jack); Sayid (Radzinsky); Sun (Christian)
FIRST LINE IN EPISODE (+10): Frank
FIRST PERSON ON SCREEN (+15): Kate
GETS A MAJOR INJURY (-15): Ben (Ajira crash; Sun whacking him with an oar); Frank (Ajira crash); Sun (Ajira crash)
HAS AN ISLAND VISION (+30): Frank, Sun
HEARS THE WHISPERS (+30): Frank, Sun
INFLICTS A MAJOR INJURY (-10): Sun (Whacks Ben with an oar)
NICKNAMED BY SAWYER (+5): Hurley (Kong); Jack (Doc)
LAST LINE IN EPISODE (+10): Sayid
LAST PERSON ON SCREEN (+15): Sayid
TRAVELS BY CAR (+5): Hurley; Jack; Jin (twice); Kate; Miles; Sawyer (five times); Sayid
VISITS A DHARMA LOCATION (+5): Ben (Hydra); Christian (Barracks); Frank (Hydra, Barracks); Hurley (Barracks); Jack (Barracks); Jin (Flame, Barracks); Kate (Barracks); Marvin Candle (Barracks); Sawyer (Barracks three times, Flame); Sayid (Flame, Barracks); Sun (Hydra, Barracks)
WATCHES A DHARMA FILM (+5): Jack, Kate
It's been a while, but we're back to only having one Fantasy Genius of the Week! Congratulations to taffy13 from DarkUFO. She had the highest score for this week, pulling in 245 points from "Namaste"!
taffy13: Sawyer, Smoke Monster, Sun, Frank, Ji-Yeon, Charlie, Boone, Jin
Who's going to be our Fantasy Genius next week? Will there be only one? Come back and find out!
Full Table by Name: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pXy_MMpweXkCjikC9pAkHLg
Full Table by MiniLeague: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pXy_MMpweXkDMT4n4n1WREg
WARNING: This section contains the title of the next episode and some conjecture on what it might mean. If you consider this sort of information to be spoilerish, then do not continue. If not...
Episode 5x10 is entitled "He's Our You" and I have no clue what the heck that even means! Every time I try to think over what it could mean, I end up looking like that cat on the right.
Whether or not it has any meaning (I sure hope it does), "He's Our You" looks like tough times are ahead for our Losties. The previews made it look like chaos and general confusion has taken over parts of DHARMA and Sayid is giving creepy warnings that just might fly in the face of Daniel's warnings.
Seeing as "Namaste" scored huge in the points, I suspect "He's Our You" will do the same. With all the DHARMA logos floating around, we could be in store for some big earnings as long as the action sticks with the DHARMA days of the Island.
How will "He's Our You" score for you? Come back next week and find out!
Once again, here is the official LFL rule book. Happy reading!