Here we are ladies and gentlemen! This is the final Fantasy Update for the Hiatus Fantasy League. I am happy to say that our final episode, "Maternity Leave," was our highest scoring episode to date! Week 7 pulled us out of a long slide but Week 8 puts us over the top. How appropriate that we go out with a bang.
Sadly though, I was sick and barely able to speak when it came time to get this video ready, so you'll have to wait until the start of the Season 4 Fantasy League to see my face again. The good news is that the video is much shorter for a change!
DarkUFO and I want to thank each and every one of you for your questions, comments, praises, criticisms and hate mail over the past 14 weeks. Your collective patience has allowed us to test the scoring database and helped me get some practice in on making videos. All your feedback and the episodes we watched have helped us refine our rules.
Speaking of our scoring rules, DarkUFO and I have finished writing up our official League rule book. On Monday we will put it here on the site for you all to see. Now you will be able to follow along while watching the episodes and get an early idea of how your team will fair for the week. Some come back on Monday and check it out. We may even have a few other items for your veiwing pleasure as well.
But enough talking- let's get to it! Check out the video (sans me), read all the usual data below and brace yourself for Season 4! Remember, you can always leave comments (no spoilers please!) and ask us questions anytime you like (LFLquestions@gmail.com).
Maternity Leave (in 500 words or less)
Turnip-head catches a fever and Claire overreacts when Rousseau shows up and proclaims that he is infected. Jack tells Claire its probably a common fever and she can relax. Naturally, she doesn’t. With Kate’s help, Mama Bear tracks down Libby and ask her to zonk Claire out to help her remember what happened when she was abducted by the Ethan.
Libby helps her relax (way down, deeper and deeper) and Claire begins to fill in the missing pieces. Apparently she was taken to a medical facility adorned with Georgia O’Keeffe paintings and where the muzak plays round the clock. Yeah, that makes sense.
Claire wants to find Rousseau, thinking she’ll know where to find this place. Kate gets a gun from Sawyer and they head off. They find Rousseau but she has no friggin’ clue where the med station is. She takes them to the point where Claire scratched her. From here, the Estro-fest Island tour wanders around until stumbling upon the place.
They find the remains of a DHARMA station, a knitted sock, a couple of ragged costumes and a fake beard. No medicine and no sign of anything useful. Yep, sounds like a Claire episode. :-)
Claire realizes that Rousseau’s daughter was the one who helped her escape and that Rousseau was trying to get Claire away from the Others.
Your B-Plot focuses on the tension between Locke and Jack and their respective plans for “Henry Gale” and the Button. Locke tries to sound smart by talking about Hemmingway’s jealousy of Dostoyevsky. Jack doesn’t get it. Eko figures out that their hiding someone in the hatch and has a few words with “Henry.” He apologizes for killing two Others and cuts off two little tufts on his beard.
Locke tries to be nice to “Henry” but the King of Creepy parallels Hemmingway and Dostoyevsky with Locke and Jack. Jungle John is less than thrilled to be mindf**ked and trashes the Swan’s kitchen like a rock star.
The flashbacks show Claire’s time in captivity. She’s constantly drugged and thinks the Others are there to help her. Ethan, the Duke of Disturbing, wants to play doctor, which turns out to be less “show me yours, I’ll show you mine” and more “show me yours, I’ll cut your baby out of you.” A mysterious girl who is obviously Rousseau’s daughter helps Mama Bear escape from the Staff. Claire and Rousseau meet each other and have a misunderstanding. A tussle ensues and Claire gets knocked out and taken back to Lostie beach.
1. Aaron’s fever counts as an injury. It caused him discomfort, but most importantly, we saw that he had pretty nasty looking rashes all over his body. The rashes were the key here. Without them being present, it would have been a tough call whether to count it as injury or not.
2. Ethan gets points for encountering the Numbers but Claire does not. Ethan grabs the vial, so we see his hand and the Numbers on screen at the same time. Later, the vial is in the foreground with Claire in the background. The key here is that the vial is out of focus and we cannot see the Numbers.
3. Jack gets credit for encountering the Numbers. We can see both 42 and 108 on the wall as Jack passes. It’s quick, but visible. We are counting 108 as one of the Numbers.
4. Claire does not lose points for being injected by Ethan. There is speculation that what he injected her with might have been the drug keeping Claire docile during her stay there, but we don’t know exactly what that liquid was.
We do count the canteen as an injury to Claire though. Ethan gives her the canteen and she claims it tastes sour. Ethan says he didn’t notice it, but never takes a sip. We have ruled that this was Ethan keeping Claire drugged.
5. Only Kate and Rousseau get points for discovering the Staff station. This was a tricky one to figure out. Claire had already been to the Staff, so she knew it existed, thus making her ineligible for discovery points. Had Claire known right where the Staff was, no one would have gotten points, because Claire could have led them all to it. But, she needed to find Rousseau, who led them to where Claire scratched her.
They had to wander around a little bit before they could find the Staff, so we’re giving Kate and Rousseau discovery points. All three got points for visiting the Staff though.
6. Claire and Ethan get points for visiting the Staff in Claire’s flashbacks. Because Claire’s flashbacks were on-Island, we know that she and Ethan were previously seen in the jungle together. This episode filled in the gaps about where they had been while Claire was missing. They obviously came to the Staff, so we gave them points.
7. Alex does not get points for visiting the Staff. Again, due to the technicality that we scored episodes under the guise of watching them for the first time, we didn’t initially know that Alex wasn’t supposed to be at the Staff. We know that she’s got a pattern of being disruptive to the Others’ plans and showing up where she’s not supposed to be. We didn’t know that originally, so no points for Alex.
8. Alex using chloroform on Claire counts as an injury. There was a slight struggle and chloroform has only one use outside of a chemistry set. Yes, Alex was helping Claire escape, but knocking someone out the way she did forces us to slap injury deductions on the situation.
9. We see the clip of Claire scratching Rousseau three times this episode, but were only deducting points for it once. DarkUFO and I made a new ruling on injuries- League characters can only lose points once per episode for a specific injury. No matter how many times we see that specific injury in a single episode, points will only be deducted for it once. If we see the scene or clip of that injury in later episodes, points will be deducted then as well, but only once per episode.
This does not apply to TYPES of injuries though. If Desmond is punched by Bernard at the beginning of the episode, Desmond can still lose points if other people punch him during the episode. Also, if Bernard were to come back later in the episode and punch Des again, more points would be lost. This double jeopardy rule only applies to singular, specific injuries.
10. Kate gets points for discovering the Others’ costumes and the fake beard. While she had seen the Others in costume before, she didn’t know they were costumes. The discovery of their prop locker is worthy of points.
11. Claire and Rousseau get points for discovering each other in Claire’s flashback. At this point, Claire didn’t know anything about Rousseau and vice versa.
KATE (+75): Attendance (+5); Discovers a DHARMA Station- The Staff (+25); Discovers a New Place- The Staff (+20); Visits a DHARMA Location- The Staff (+5); Discovers a New Thing- The fake beard and costumes (+20)
JACK (+35): Attendance (+5); Encounters the Numbers- 42 and 108 on Hatch mural (+20); Visits a DHARMA Location- visits the Swan twice (2 x 5 = +10)
LOCKE (+20): Attendance (+5); Visits a DHARMA Location- The Swan (+5); Last on Screen (+10)
BEN (+10): Attendance (+5); Last Line in Episode (+5)
SAWYER (+5): Attendance (+5)
HURLEY (+5): Attendance (+5)
DESMOND (-5): Absent from Episode (-5)
JULIET (-5): Absent from Episode (-5)
MICHAEL (-5): Absent from Episode (-5)
SAYID (-5): Absent from Episode (-5)
CLAIRE (+90): Attendance (+5); First on Screen (+15); First Line in Episode (+10); Episode Centricity (+25); On-Island Flashback (+10); Visits a DHARMA Location- Her on-Island flashbacks in The Staff count as a visit (+5); Kisses Aaron (+20); Gets Injured- Drugged by Ethan (-10); Injured by Alex- Knocked out (-10); Discovers a New Person- Meets Rousseau for the first time in her flashback (+20); Gets Injured- Rousseau manhandles her (-10); Injures Someone- Scratches Rousseau (-5); Gets Injured- Knocked out by Rousseau (-10); Visits a DHARMA Location- Visits the Staff with Kate & Rousseau (+5); Kisses Aaron (+20)
ROUSSEAU (+70): Attendance (+5); Discovers a New Place- The Swan (+20); Discovers a New DHARMA Station- The Staff (+25); Visits a DHARMA Location (+5); Appears in Claire’s Flashbacks (+15); Discovers a New Person- Meets Claire in her flashback (+20); Injures Someone- Manhandles Claire (-5); Get Hurt- Scratched by Claire (-10); Injures Someone- Knocks out Claire (-5)
SUN (+5): Attendance (+5)
JACOB (-5): Absent from Episode (-5)
JIN (-5): Absent from Episode (-5)
ALEX (+15): Attendance (+5); Appears in Claire’s Flashback (+15); Injures Someone- Knocks out Claire (-5)
BERNARD (-5): Absent from Episode (-5)
KARL (-5): Absent from Episode (-5)
ROSE (-5): Absent from Episode (-5)
WALT (-5): Absent from Episode (-5)
AARON (+50): Attendance (+5); First on Screen (+15); Gets Hurt- Fever and rashes (-10); Kisses Aaron twice (2 x 20 = +40)
CINDY (-5): Absent from Episode (-5)
MARVIN CANDLE (-5): Absent from Episode (-5)
PENNY (-5): Absent from Episode (-5)
RICHARD (-5): Absent from Episode (-5)
ETHAN (+40): Attendance (+5); Appears in Claire’s Flashbacks (+15); Visits a DHARMA Location- Appearance at the Staff in On-Island flashbacks counts (+5); Encounter the Numbers- picks up a vial with 4815162342 on it (+20); Injures Someone- Drugs Claire (-5)
LIBBY (+5): Attendance (+5)
MS. HAWKING (-5): Absent from Episode (-5)
RACHEL (-5): Absent from Episode (-5)
WIDMORE (-5): Absent from Episode (-5)
CHRISTIAN (-5): Absent from Episode (-5)
KELVIN (-5): Absent from Episode (-5)
KEVIN (-5): Absent from Episode (-5)
MR. PAIK (-5): Absent from Episode (-5)
NADIA (-5): Absent from Episode (-5)
As mentioned in the video, our Fantasy Genius of the Week is Quixo with 260 points.
Their winning combination was: Kate, Desmond, Claire, Alex, Aaron, Ethan and Christian
Episode Scoring Chart
The Top 20
Click the link below to see where you are in the full table.